Pages

Thursday, March 27, 2014

Thursday Treats: Toffee Bars {Betty Crocker}

I was looking for something both simple and quick because I didn't have very much time before our Thursday night Bible study and Prayer night, and these Toffee Bars fit the bill.


Actually, they might've been too easy because I messed up in the first step. I let my mind wander and put the egg in before separating the yolk and white.


It was ok though, because I quickly found another use for my "mess-up" and started over again on these. I paid attention to the egg part...


...but not to the butter. I was wondering why my mixture was so dry and crumbly and kept going over the list of ingredients. Egg, butter, sugar, vanilla, flour, salt...simple line-up and all there. Oh! But wait...I needed two sticks of butter, and I...I only put in one.


Ooops! Good thing I'm pretty ;)


Anyway, there wasn't very much else I could mess up on and if this recipe turned out a fail...it would be no fault of Betty but my own.


They were a success. Soft, shortbread type of crust with enough chocolate  to make it good but not sickeningly sweet. I subbed out the milk chocolate chips {I used those in my rescued mess-up!} for semi-sweet. I also added toffee bits to the top instead of nuts. Whether you make them with my substitutions, or as the original, I'm sure you'll love these treats.




Toffee Bars
Betty Crocker, Baking Basics

1 large egg, separated
1 cup butter, room temperature {2 sticks :)}
1 cup packed brown sugar
1 tsp vanilla
2 cups flour
1/4 tsp salt
2/3 cup milk or semi-sweet chocolate chips
1/2 cup chopped nuts or toffee bits

1. Heat the oven to 350.

2. In a large bowl, place egg yolk, butter, brown sugar and vanilla and stir with a wooden spoon until well mixed.

3. Stir in the flour and salt until mixed. Using your fingers, press the dough firmly and evenly on the bottom of an ungreased 13x9 pan.

4. Bake 25 to 30 minutes or until very light brown {the crust will be soft}.

5. Immediately sprinkle the chocolate chips over the hot crust. Let stand about 5 minutes or until chocolate has softented; spread chocolate evenly over bars, using a metal spatula. sprinkle with the nuts and/or toffee bits.

6. Place pan on cooling rack. Let stand 30 minutes before cutting.

7. Share and enjoy!


There are no calories in these bars because you burn them off mixing the dough by hand.

Therefore, go. Make and eat :)




No comments: