Pages

Wednesday, April 9, 2014

Bonus Treats: Homemade Pop Tarts {Classic Snacks} + Classy Nautical




I saw this cookbook at the Superstore, and having restricted myself to shop cookbooks with a purpose, I didn't get it the first few times I went grocery shopping.

Every time I would pass by the book aisle [...yes, yes...I didn't have to go down that aisle, but--whatever, I always do :P] I looked and picked it up; tried to find some justification in buying another cookbook--apparently, loving cookbooks doesn't count ;)



Then! I saw a recipe for these babies. You see, I have a dear friend who adores pop tarts, but whose husband doesn't...approve of pop tarts {ya know, 'cause they're bad for you and all. Plus, they taste like cardboard} and I thought this would be perfect for her.



I was supposed to make them several weeks ago for her birthday...but, yeah, I missed that boat. Here's to hoping she'll love them so much, it won't matter if they're a few weeks late :D I took some over to her house last night for us girls to test them out after we helped her pack. Moving and a baby all within 2 weeks? You go, girl :D

I made raspberry, and brown sugar/cinnamon. While I wouldn't call them out of this world good...they are pretty good. I think the more I practice making them, the better they'll be. I used raspberry jam, and I think that had a part in making the tarts a little too sweet. For the brown sugar/cinnamon ones, I need to add more spice. Although, maybe if my crust was rolled out a little more thin, I wouldn't have overfilled the pop tarts and they would've been perfect?



Overall, I'm pretty pleased with how these turned out, but, I have plans for making them taste spectacular :D



Homemade Strawberry Pop Tarts
Classic Snacks Made from Scratch
Casey Barber
*I used raspberry jam filling, but only because I was running out of time. My next try will be true to the recipe :D*

Crust

2+1/2 cups flour
2 tsps sugar
1/2 tsp salt
8 tblsp chilled unsalted butter, cut into 1/2in cubes
1/4 cup ice-cold water
1 tblsp distilled white vinegar
1 large egg whisked with 1 tblsp water, for egg wash

Make the Dough

1. Pulse the flour, sugar, and salt together in the bowl of a food processor to sift and combine.

2. Add the butter and shortening and pulse in 3-second bursts until partially incorporated with pea-sized chunks visible and a texture resembling moist cornmeal.

3. With the processor running, drizzle the water and vinegar through the feed just until a shaggy and crumbly dough starts to form. Transfer to a bowl; divide the dough in half and shape into 2 discs. Wrap plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 1 hour {or overnight}

Strawberry Filling

1 lb. strawberries, hulled
3/4 cup sugar
1 tblsp lemon juice

1. While the dough chills, cut the strawberries in halves or quarters, depending on size, and mash roughly with a potato masher in a large bowl. Keep a bunch of big chunks in there; they'll break down in the jam, but it'll be more interesting that way.

2. Stir in the sugar and lemon juice and let sit at room temperature for 30 minutes to break down the berries slightly. Stir once or twice while the berries sit to dissolve the sugar.

3. Pour the strawberries and their liquid into a high-sided pan or Dutch oven. Bring to a low boil over medium heat. Once the berries come to a boil, remove the strawberry chunks with a slotted spoon or flat mesh strainer and reserve in a medium bowl. Continue to let the syrup boil, stirring often, until thickened and jelly-like, about 15-20 minutes.

4. Return the strawberry chunks to the pan and cook for 5-10 minutes more, until the jam is the desired thickness and consistency. Transfer to a clean bowl or Mason jar.

Assemble + Bake

1. Preheat the oven to 375F. Line 2 rimmed baking sheets with parchment paper or Silpat liners.

2. On a floured surface, roll one of the dough discs to a 10x12in rectangle about 1/4in thick.

3. Use a pastry or pizza cutter to divide into 6 {3x5in} rectangles; place on the prepared baking sheets. Repeat with the second disk, but leave those 6 on your work surface.

4. Spoon 2-3 tablespoons of filling into the center of each rectangle on the baking sheets. Brush the edges with the egg wash.

5. Place a reserved dough rectangle atop each filled rectangle and seal the edges by pressing with the tines of a fork. Use the fork to poke vent holes in the pastry tops.

6. Bake for about 30 minutes or until golden brown and puffed. Transfer the tarts to a wire rack and let cool completely before eating or frosting.

Frosting

1+1/2 cups powdered sugar
2-3 tblsps milk
1 tsp vanilla

1. Whisk the powdered sugar, 2 tablespoons of milk, and vanilla together to form a thick glaze. Add the final tablespoon of milk a drizzle at a time until the glaze has the consistency you want.

2. Use a basting brush to spread the glaze on the cooled pastries.


Enjoy your homemade pop tarts!!



*************************************************



My friend Sarah is still in the contest! She won last weeks theme, with her Springtime in Paris look--thanks for voting for her!!

This week, it was all about designing your own fabric. Just look at the adorably simple dress her daughter has on. And, suspenders on her little guy? Cute!!

I love how her nautical theme is classy and yet fun. Head over to her blog to see many more shots of her outfits and sweet kiddos.

And, don't forget to cast your vote for your favourite look! Voting is open through Thursday night at 8 :)

Click HERE.

Thanks so much, guys and enjoy those Pop Tarts while perusing Sarah's blog :D

Have a great evening!







No comments: